Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Someone Call the Playdough Police...

Is it just me or are there others who just love the smell of playdough? (You're thinking I'm nuts? Just wait.)

Red has been having a really rough time at preschool lately. I've tried all sorts of things to get him to "do what your teachers ask", stop spitting (something he learned from one of "those" kids, because I KNOW he didn't think of THAT on his own...hmm), play nice with his friends, stop arguing, stop talking back, the list goes on and on.

So, today I decided to try a reward for good behavior (aka. blackmail). When I dropped Red off at school today I told him I was going to call his teacher to check on him. Instead, at lunch I dropped by and found out that he had been behaving well. This wasn't surprising to me as his day usually gets a little rocky around nap time. I knew if I could have an impact on the rest of the day, this was my chance.

I pulled him aside and told him he should be very proud of himself for having such an awesome day. Then, the bribe...I told him that if he continued to have a great day, there would be a wonderful surprise for him at home. One that he would be sooo excited about...PLAYDOUGH!!!

Red's eyes were bright with excitement. His hands together on his chest, a HUGE smile spread across his little freckled face. The kid LOVES playdough. His Mama, not so much...

I really do love the smell of playdough. But when it's in my house, that's about the only thing I love about it. I guess you could say I have a love/hate relationship with the stuff. I hate the little pieces that fall onto your floor, I hate the thought of it in my carpet, I hate that it gets deep into your finger nails where it stays for weeks, and the last (most) bothersome thing...I hate when someone mixes the colors...even just a little. There, I wrote it. (I told you you'd think I was nuts.) Does someone have a little control issue? Yepp. I actually think someone must have brain washed me at some point in my life. I feel that strongly about it.

Today, Red decided he was going to provide me with some much needed "therapy". He has this playdough set that someone got him for a birthday. I have had it hidden deep inside our pantry but I had promised, so I pulled it out. It came with four colors of playdough. Being the control freak I am, I opened two colors.

We started playing and honestly the set was so cool, I opened the other colors. Before I knew it, Red had mixed the blue and green. AAAAAGGGGGHHHH!!! I didn't say a word. Red says, "Look Mama. This fish is so colorful!!!" It was. It was actually very cool. I don't think I've EVER mixed the colors. It was AWESOME! He says,"Mama, lets mix ALL the colors together and make a colorful snake!!!" I say,"Go for it, Red!" (I'm actually freaking out, the Playdough Police are going to come and take our playdough away!!!) We played with the playdough for a good hour. Red had so much fun. I confess, I had fun playing with the playdough. I was still a little freaked out by the mixed colors. We now have three containers of "colorful" playdough as Red calls it.

Red helped clean up. The mess wasn't terrible.

Just before he went to sleep tonight he said , "I had fun playing playdough with you, Mama. I think we should do it again tomorrow."

OK, who cares about the stinking mixed colors! :)

1 comment:

Mom2Da'Gorgeouses said...

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time with Red & the playdough. I have a confession to make. I hate playdough, I cannot stand the smell, I don't like the way it feels and I simply do not like it when the colors are mixed. I have SERIOUS ISSUES!! LOL!! I seriously doubt that Da'Gorgeouses will ever utter those sweet words to me, "I had fun playing playdough with you, Mama. I think we should do it again tomorrow." I kid you not, I'm a mess!

Luckily for me DrillSgt. has the playdough dept. covered. HE bought the 20 color pack with all the "tools", he opened the package, set everything up and participated in creating with Da'Gorgeouses. HE watched as they mashed, and rolled, and tried to eat, and dare I say MIX the colors! And I, well, I took the opportunity to exit stage left and head out for my meeting! LOL!! I SOOO need therapy!

Hugs & Blessings!